- Create a prompt that guides students to think about which objects or symbols would represent a word, person, story, or process (ie: What symbol would best represent Sojourner Truth’s journey towards freedom?)
- Ask students to visually or orally brainstorm objects or symbols that reflect the prompt
- Guide students to choose the one object or symbol that best represents the prompt (ie: Which one symbol would allow you to tell the story of Sojourner Truth’s struggle and emancipation?)
- Hand out the medium with which students will create their object or symbol model (ie: foil, clay, newspaper, wiki sticks)
- After students create their models, ask students to display them on a piece of construction paper, with a title or phrase underneath
- Have students circulate the room in a Gallery Walk, silently viewing each other’s art
- Processing points:
Describe: What kinds of objects/symbols did our classmates create?
Analyze: What was similar and different between the models?
Relate: What story does your model tell?