Topic: Weekly Vocabulary
CLI Strategy: Statues
Students will be able to: Create statues to show their understanding of weekly “robust” vocabulary words.
- Before making statue, use the picture from vocabulary/story cards and relate vocabulary word to students’ lives to help students access prior knowledge.
- What do you notice about this picture?
- The vocabulary word is ______________ and the meaning is _____________. Where do you see that in this picture?
- When have you seen or experienced this in your life?
- Make sure students are ready and understand directions. Remind them that statues are still, silent, and show ideas
- Count down and students make frozen statues with their bodies
- Choose an example statue from the group of students. Have other students sit down and ask:
- What do you see? How are they holding their body? Using their facial expression
- What do you think that means?
- How do you think this statue represent the vocabulary word?
- Play a game where all of the students make the chosen statue when you call out the vocabulary word.
- You can take a picture of the statue and put it up on a board with the vocabulary word to help you and students remember. Each week you can add new statues and new vocabulary words.