CLI Strategy: Hot Seating
Grade: Upper Elementary
Students will be able to: Take on a role and use their knowledge of a historical figure to explore ideas around the figure’s life and impact on their community and history.
- Brainstorm questions with the class that students would want to ask the historical figure.
- Choose a student or group of students to go into role as the historical figure.
- Count down from three to zero to help the students make the transition into role. Model asking questions; then ask class to interview the students in role as the historical figure.
- Reflect with questions that ask students to describe, analyze, relate, such as:
- What new information did we learn about this person?
- What information from the text helped us make those inferences?
- How can we relate to this person?
- Have students write a journal entry from the perspective of the historical figure.
Scaffolding For Success
- Record brainstormed questions on the board for students to use during interview.
- Remind hotseated students to act and respond like their character, not themselves.