Topic: Genre – Comparing Fantasy and Reality
CLI Strategy: Hot Seating
Grade: PK, K
Students will be able to: answer questions in role to compare fantasy and reality
- Read an expository text or discuss what students know about dinosaurs.
- Read If the Dinosaurs Came Back
- Hot seat (interview) a group of dinosaurs. Have them think about what it’s like to be alive today vs. what it was like to be alive in dinosaur times.
- Possible Questions:
- What kinds of things did you see when you were alive back then? What kinds of things do you see now?
- What are some things you find interesting or fun in modern times? What do you miss about being alive back then?
- How are you helping people in modern times? What kinds of jobs do you do? (encourage students to take ideas from book)
- What role did you play?
- What did you think about while answering the questions?
- What ideas were reality and what ideas were fantasy?
Extension: Writing in Role
- After the interview have students write a journal page as if they were a dinosaur alive today.
- Or have students write a panel from a comic strip.