Topic: Text Features
CLI Strategy: Artifact
Grade: Lower/Upper Elementary
Students will be able to: closely analyze parts of an expository article to identify and sort text features.
- Cut up an expository article and highlight different text features
- Place pieces of article in an envelope marked “important.”
- Show the class the envelope and make predictions about what might be inside. You can expand on the “story” of envelope according to your desire and students’ interest.
- Pull out pieces of article one at a time. Might place under projector, so that students can see each piece better. As you look at each piece, ask:
- What do you notice/see?
- What is the job of this text feature?
- How does this text feature support the article?
- Look at pieces of article all together and have students help you arrange under the projector, on the floor, or up on the board.
- What were some of the text features we found?
- What text features were missing?
- Why were text features important to this article?