CLI Strategy: This Setting Needs
Subject: Reading, Science
Grade: PK, K
Students will be able to: create frozen images to show their understanding of the seasons.
- Prep Students: Tell students that you are going to be making some statues using their bodies that go together to make a picture. Discuss with students that statues are frozen, don’t speak, and can show feelings and ideas.
- Practice: Ask students: Choose one word from the reading and have all of the students practice making a statue with that word. ex. “In the story we see someone lying in bed with the rain tapping at their windowpane. When I say go, imagine you are listening to the rain tap on your windowpane. What might that look like? Show me a frozen statue in 3-2-1-0”
- Ask: What kinds of things might you see in spring? (or other season)
- Build the picture: Have students come up one at a time to make a frozen picture of spring. (or other season) When they come up they should say “This setting needs… and say what they are adding to the picture.”
- What do we see in our picture of spring?
- What do all of these statues have in common?
- Based on our picture, what do you think people feel about spring?
- How is spring different from other seasons?
- What do you like most about spring?