Topic: Math Problem Solving
CLI Strategy: Alphabet Relay
Students will be able to: collectively break a problem into steps and show work to produce a solution.
- Divide class into 2-3 groups. Have each groups stand in a single file line.
- Put a copy of the problem on a large piece of paper taped on the wall at the front of the room for each group.
- The goal is for the group to solve the problem together one step a time in relay fashion. Each person takes the marker, runs up to paper, writes down one step, and then runs the marker back to the next group member.
- Encourage the rest of the group to help and cheer for whoever is up writing down a step.
- What did you notice as you were solving this problem with your group? What was difficult?
- What steps did each group do similar? Differently?
- What is important to remember in this problem solving process?