Topic: Social Justice and Power
CLI Strategy: Graffiti Alphabet
Subject: ELA Reading
Students will be able to: Create graffiti art to show and analyze themes and ideas within their reading around Social Justice and Power.
- Show examples of social justice related graffiti. Ask students: What do you notice?
- Discuss the attributes of graffiti: expressive, bold, colorful, stylistic, words show meaning.
- Pair up students. Pass out a large piece of paper to each group.
- Use the prompt “Social Justice is…” Have students pull out and write and illustrate words or phrases from their reading that relate to social justice. You can challenge them to try to brainstorm a word for each letter of the alphabet.
- Remind students to use the style of writing to express the word’s meaning.
- Place papers together. Have students silently view them in the style of a gallery walk.
- What words stand out to you? Why?
- Where have we seen these words? In what context? How does the placement or style reflect their meaning or give them new meaning?
- How do these words relate to social justice?
- How do you think “graffiti” as an art form and social justice might be intertwined?