Topic: Tariff of Abominations
CLI Strategy: Artifact and Town Hall Meeting
Subject: Social Studies
Students will be able to: Make connections between their lives, worldview, and the Tarriff of Abominations.
- Ask Students: What do you think is the actual cost for a t-shirt from “raw materials” to you? What steps are involved in this process?
- Have students view an example page from modern tarriff book. (available on NPR Planet Money website)
- Ask questions to guide their thinking:
- What do you notice?
- What do you think influences tarriffs?
- How does this impact you?
Talk Show/Town Meeting
- Who were some of the stakeholders in this Tariff?
- Who do you think it would be important to? Why?
Select a “Role”
- Tell students that you are going to have a talk show and that they should select a character to represent. Every student should have a character in mind, but you will choose a small group to come up and be the featured guests.
- Have students write down the type of person that they will be playing and why or why not they are in support of the Tariff.
Going Into the Talk Show
- Tell students that when you count down from 3 to 0 that you will be at the talk show and that they should ask and answer questions “in character”
- What was your experience being in role?
- What ideas influenced our perspectives?
- Where else do we see taxes being imposed that causes conflict?