Topic: Properties of Matter
CLI Strategy: This is not a triangle
Subject : Science
Grade: Lower Elementary
TEKS 1.5B, 2.5A
Students will be able to: use acting skills and descriptive language to show properties that you would use to classify matter.
- Review physical properties used to describe matter: shape, relative mass, flexibility, temperature, texture
- Explain to students that they are going to use their acting skills and descriptive language to transform a scarf or triangle into other kinds of matter
- Model transforming the triangle by saying:
“ This is not a triangle… it is pointy, smooth cat’s ear.” or “it’s a heavy rock that sinks in the water.”
- Ask students to identify how you transformed the triangle. For example:
“What did I just do? What type of language did I use?
- Offer each student the opportunity to transform the triangle into another object. If a student gets stuck, you can ask her to pass or “phone a friend” for help with an idea.
Possible Reflection Questions:
- How did we transform the triangle?
- What kinds of words did we use?
- What other kinds of objects have these properties?