Topic: Exploring Properties of Matter
CLI Strategy: Mirroring
Subject : Science
Grade: Lower Elementary
TEKS K.5A, 1.5A, 2.5A
Students will be able to: use acting skills and descriptive language to show properties that you would use to classify matter.
- First, have teacher act as leader. Tell students they are going to mirror what you do. Show students a mirror, and have them describe what happens when you look in a mirror.
- Show students a bag and tell them that you have some amazing and curious objects and that you need their help to investigate the properties of the objects inside that bag.
- Tell students they will silently mirror your actions as you take the objects out of the bag. Model using the senses to pull out and carefully explore the properties and interact with the objects. First interact with actual objects and then continue to pull out imaginary objects.
- Now, pair up students to mirror each other. One student will pull objects out of a bag and investigate its properties as the other student mirrors.
- Have students record the properties of the objects they discovered.
Possible Reflection Questions:
- What did you learn as you were mirroring?
- What were some of the properties you discovered?
- How do you think scientists use these same skills?
Have you used Mirroring in your classroom? Let us know how it worked for you in the comments below!